The vision of the Department is focused on:
- To be the "best" in the field of information and communication technology for hospitals at the national level and in the Middle East
- Development of programs and systems in management information unique and special for the hospital to compete with the best programs available in the same area
- Automation of all information systems in the hospital
- Commitment to the principle of development and review of all programs, computer systems and all devices within a programmed schedule (Master plan) between one and three years
Achievements of the MIS Department
Preparation for this program has begun in 1997 and was named after "Ibn Sina" –the famous Arab physician.
SINA software is a property of Ain Wazein Hospital; it was designed, programmed and implemented by the MIS Department under the supervision of specialized committees within the institution.
The first part of the program was started in 1999 in the Pharmacy Division, and then other modules followed over the years until the implementation of this program covers today the whole establishment - Hospital and Elderly Care Center. All divisions are now linked to each other (In-patients, out-patients and administrations):
- Receiving medication requests from nurse stations through the computer
- Find out the available medications in the pharmacy and choose the most appropriate for the patient through a specific list which appears automatically
- In some cases, consult the attending physician to choose the right drug for the patient, after checking the laboratory tests and radiology exams directly through the system
- Development of a specific program for the use of antibiotics (gives it for 3 or 5 days and stop it automatically in the event of non-renewal by the doctor )
Laboratory and Blood Bank
In addition to the automation of all activities of this department, the requests for laboratory exams have been linked directly to the Lab Machines (Chemistry, Hematology, and others) so that such requests are transferred to the machine. The results are transferred directly to SINA program, so that the chairman of the laboratory department can read and approve them, and thus can be accessed directly from the requested department. The lab requests cycle is fully automated.
- Standardize the format of radiology reports
- Immediate access to reports from medical departments without the need to paper reports
- Currently, the MIS and Biomedical departments are working on implementing the "Filmless" system and limit the work with the digital images to become accessible to doctors via SINA
Out patient department
- Computerization of all the activities
- Possibility to book appointments directly anywhere in the hospital (from the nurse stations, physicians′ offices…)
- Recently the out patient medical file was introduced to the paperless system, so that the physician was able to write his notes directly in the system, and check the patient′s exams (out and during hospitalization) and medical file
- A database was created and includes all the policies, procedures and coded forms.
- Policies, procedures and forms are distributed according to a "Diffusion Matrix"
- Access to this database is allowed to departments and positions (as per their authorization) and available on the "Intranet " for all users
Computerization of all the activities such as: all personnel files, work schedule, leaves, actions taken, the results of the performance appraisal, applications forms, Automation of the Time Attendance and Payroll System in including to NSSF claims
Medical Records unit
Computerization of all the activities such as: files borrowed to medical departments and out patient clinics .... Also printing the completed medical file and saving it on the computer in a special format.
Admission, Accounting, Billing, Collection and Central cashier
- Admission Division: The program shows:
- The radiological exams, ultrasounds and the surgical operations that need approvals from the third party payers,
- Required deposit amount- as per each procedure
- Approvals not completed during the month
- Patients names
- Distribution of patients per rooms, ...
- Accounting Division
- Journal voucher entries and checking, then transfer them to a specific accounting program separate from SINA
- Release of checks and budgets, ...
- Billing Division
- Check the computerized medical file after the discharge order to make sure that all medicine, medical supplies, medical acts, etc. are billed
- Send the invoice through the system to the central cashier for settlement
- Central Cashier Division
- The SINA program links the Central Cashier Division with the billing and the sub cashiers′ offices (outpatient and emergency),
- Allows the printing of the "discharge card"
- The program covers also the activity of the Elderly Care Center in terms of the residency, tests, and other relevant financial topics...
- Collection Division:
- The program shows the names of patients that have been made the invoice reconciliation, the date of entry, the invoice number, the amount and the guarantor, in order to prepare specific tables for each guarantor for follow up
All maintenance requests are requested and followed through SINA program
The Operator unit
All hospital calls are registered –by departments and extensions- with its duration and cost
IT security system
To ensure the security of information, programs are divided according to the specialty of users and their functions. A user name and password allow the user to log in the program according to the specific system.
The Paperless System
The paperless system works within SINA program. The medical file is completely computerized except the papers signed by patients and those that are not allowed to be kept in an electronic format. Doctors and nurses are allowed to register their notes, observations and comments directly to the system.
All medical departments are equipped with portable Laptops operating with Wireless LAN technique. The nurse can register the vital signs immediately after the examination of each patient.
Designed and implemented by the MIS department. It includes wired copper network, fiber optic network (to connect remote buildings), and wireless network.
More than 500 users are connected to the network (doctors, nurses, administrative and technicians)
The current website is under major revision by a private company in collaboration with the MIS Department and the communication Division
The MIS Department is responsible for managing and organizing the information network and the systems in the establishment: infrastructure, software and hardware.
The team consists of eight staff (head of the department, one administrator, two programmers and three technicians) as well as a consultant to the department. The team members share the work among them to meet the needs and future development. The work includes maintenance of hardware and software, software development, networking and training.
The MIS department′s main office is located in the building of the elderly care center - first floor. The workshop office (maintenance) is located in the ground floor of the hospital building. All the Computer Servers are kept in a safe and secure area.
From Monday to Saturday, from 8:00am to 4:00pm.
For emergency cases, there is an on-call available staff member.